.

samedi 18 juillet 2009

Golfer Tom Watson Has Anterior Approach Hip Replacement


Tom Watson has been dealing with pain in his left hip for several years. It was to be expected, of course, after a lifelong career of playing golf. But in 2008, it has reached a point where he knew he couldn’t just endure it anymore. Now Tom Watson won’t be able to swing a club for about three months after having hip replacement surgery in October.

Watson confirmed the end of his Champiopns Tour season on Tuesday when he stated: “I’m going to have a total hip replacement. It’s kind of become like an Olympic event to get my sock on. I can’t reach down. I have pain sleeping. And it’s compromised my game more.

“It’s progressing to the point where it can really give me some sharp pain, and I can’t get that range of motion. I can’t avoid it any longer. It’s like, ‘Let’s get this done.’ ”

The procedure will take place Oct. 2 and be performed by Dr. Joel Matta at Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif. Watson had planned arthroscopic surgery on his hip in 2004, but opted then to wait longer and deal with the pain through medication and exercise. But last year, he realized it would soon be time to have a more comprehensive procedure done.

He did research and also talked to other athletes who’ve had hip replacements, most notably his longtime friend Jack Nicklaus.

“This will be the first surgery I’ve had in my life,” Watson said. “The only reason I’m doing it is to get rid of the pain. It’s a quality of life decision. Fortunately, the medical world knows how to do this procedure very well. They have a great track record.”

In spite of his hip difficulties, Watson still won twice on the Champions Tour this year, plus had four other top-10 finishes. Watson said he still has a couple of golf outings before his surgery, including a First Tee fund-raiser on Sept. 22 at The National, a course he designed in Parkville.

After the surgery, he’ll focus on his golf-course designing and continuing to learn Spanish. That is helpful in his design business and also just something he’s long wanted to do.

“I’m doing a Rosetta Stone program in Spanish on my computer,” he said. “I am going to try to learn it the best I can. And now I’m going to have some time to do it.”

Watson said he does not expect to be really able to play golf again until three months after the surgery.

“The good thing about this procedure is I can put full weight on it immediately,” he said. “I’ll be using a walker, then a cane, and then without a cane. How long does all that take? Nobody knows for sure. It could be 10 days to 2 1/2 weeks before I’m walking without a cane.

“I have to let the wound heal, and then do exercises. They’re minimal at first. Some people say they can start hitting golf balls six weeks after the operation. My good friend Andy North said, ‘Watson, when you feel really good, then still wait one more month and make sure before you really go at it again.’ He hasn’t had hip replacement, but he’s had 11 different surgeries on his knees, back and neck. So he knows. ”

Watson turned 59 on Sept. 4 and said he thought he could have made it through perhaps one more year without hip replacement. But ultimately he decided now was the right time.

“Walking the golf courses and swinging the club exacerbates the pain,” he said. “I find that when I’m not at a golf tournament, my pain level goes down. But since I still want to continue to play competitively, I just can’t afford to wait anymore.”

0 commentaires:


Share/Save/Bookmark

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP